January 31, 2011

a scarf and a few thoughts

Darling husband has a manly new scarf, made by me, to block the icy wind as he heads to and from work.  I used a thick, wool blend yarn on needles that were smaller than recommended, which resulted in a pretty wind resistant, muffling muffler.
He's not usually a 'scarf guy' but he's worn it already, to show his gratitude, and if he doesn't ...
... I'll wrap it around my neck and call it mine.  (Just kidding, darling - I'll share.)
Avery's been busy making a project of her own.  She watches me closely and having seen me finish up and mail off a birthday gift for my Mom, a plum coloured basket-weave scarf, she's been working away making a blankie for Gramma.  (It's coming along, but Gramma you'll have to wait a number of years.)

It feels good to have a project on the go, and even better to finish things.  January is a tough month and February can feel even longer, which is making me feel needy for good project ideas and fresh supplies.  It seems to me that my mind starts swirling with resolutions somewhere around this time every year.  It's now that I start feeling the weight of a winter slump, the funk of doing nothing and growing tired of my everyday routine and surroundings.  It's now that I need to back away from the endless feed of inspiration I can wander aimlessly through on the internet and start trusting my own instincts for creativity.  Just looking at the scads of pretties out there only fuels my dissatisfaction that those pretty things aren't here, and that I'm not crafty enough to make my surroundings look as delicious as what I'm seeing.  Seriously, it makes me feel so mad!  If I feel the need to add some pop to my life, it's up to me.

I'm reading a fun book called Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less that Erin (Ava's mom) found for me on their recent holiday.  Although I've only dipped into it a little ways, it's reminded me that, while I've been feeling discontent with my current location, daily routines, and minimal budget, I'm not stuck - I just have to be more creative!

My attention was also recently pointed towards the new book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are and while I haven't seen it or been able to page through it yet, the title alone makes me wonder if it might be just the kind of book I need to challenge myself out of this current slump.

Onward and upward.  February will be fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. Avery, I will welcome your hand knit blankie anytime. It is a pretty colour too,

    ReplyDelete