:: in my yard I never sit and face any direction but the one that faces the garden and thick hedge. It's my little way of forgetting that I live in the prairies, because look at all that greeeeen!
:: one of my latest 'quickie' sewing projects was a new hat for A from my new Oliver + S book, made a size up because this girl's got a big noggin. Each of her hats from last summer, bought in size 4-5, are feeling snug. She has her Daddy to thank for that. I have her to thank for arriving early enough that her head was still smaller than a grapefruit at birth.
:: the official garden report: Week 4 and things are growing slightly taller than the competing weeds. Potatoes show us daily growth (proud little plants) and we're running out of dirt to keep them hilled up with. Weeding the carrots is super annoying. Strawberries have little green fruit! Tomatoes are finally growing. Rutabaga is still undistinguishable from the weeds.
:: green onions will come in handy for my latest need for nachos. They can't do much to help my other big craving for sweets and chocolates and desserts. Something is putting my usual cravings for salties to the curb and making me drool over pictures of fudgey oat bars and homemade twix and ice cream sundaes.
:: my little green-thumb regularly inspects the flowers and dead-heads as needed, gives everything a sniff and otherwise ignores them in favour of running around in circles, making things swim in her water table, or playing imaginary adventure games. Her latest thrill-seeking game is pretending panic that the neighbour dog is imaginarily in our yard.
:: inside, we've enjoyed (and since tossed) the last our our lilacs. We have two long stretches of lilac bushes that make our yard smell beautiful for the short weeks they're blooming. Happy last day of Spring ... and even happier first day of Summer tomorrow!









Oh, that is such a sweet little hat! And such a gorgeous garden... but wait... did I hear right? Rutabagas?
ReplyDeleteI love all your green things! I'm especially envious of your garden. Last year we planted a ton of things but critters ate them all up. So this year we have some lonely tomatoes. But your garden looks wonderful! And Avery is pretty cute, too! :)
ReplyDeleteThe hat turned out great - it's inspiring me to do them for the boys... which size did you chose for her?
ReplyDeleteAli - yes, Rutabaga. Yum oh yum.
ReplyDeleteJoy - I used Medium for the hat. A's head measures just a little over 20", so I used smaller seam allowance to give a little growing room. These could be super cute in boy fabrics. (PS-Come back to blogging!!!)
Great, thanks for the details. I have sort of given up on the official blog, but I have a tumblr page I find a bit more manageable - not quite as exciting but less time consuming while we're in chaos-ville! http://joyouscreations.tumblr.com/
ReplyDeletep.s. your bump is BEAUTIFUL!!
How behind am I?! Finally catching up on all my blogs. Beautiful garden. Our plants are growing but our garden is not "pretty" like yours. Heart! I LOVE LOVE that little hat. I wish I had known you can make hats, I have been scouring stores and the internet for a 2nd hat for Evelyn (cause I was tired of her always having the same hats in pics), finally I found one on ebay that didn't break the bank. It's big but cute. Love you!
ReplyDelete