December 8, 2012

to the theatre

My Mom and I took Avery to the community theatre this afternoon to watch the Kelowna ballet's performance of The Nutcracker.  It was magical and charming and beautiful and even more wonderful than I remembered.  Avery was quietly excited as we rushed to get there on time and found our seats and waited in the hush as the theatre became dark.  I'm not sure she knew at all what to expect.  We have read the story often, so there wasn't any confusion there, but the idea of watching real ballerinas and performers on a stage had her a bit puzzled before the curtain lifted.  
She sat still and focussed and enjoyed it very much, although a two hour performance is a little long for a four year old and she did get a little antsy in the second Act.  My mom took me to see the Nutcracker ballet a few times when I was young, so it was really sweet to share it with Avery together with her.
When we came home there was another surprise waiting as Nana and Daddy had set up the Christmas tree while we were out.  There was one box of special ornaments waiting just for Avery to hang on the tree, which she did while dancing and twirling and pretending to be Clara.
 This one is going to be hearing a lot of "just look, don't touch!".
It's a full weekend with the ballet today, plans to go see the Living Nativity drama and Bethlehem village tomorrow, and a sweet date night with Levi last night.  Mom offered babysitting and we made plans in a flash.  Such a treat to be out together!  We went to see Skyfall at the theatre and then savoured yummy desserts and fancy coffees at Earls.  I love date nights.
The girls are tucked into bed now.  Levi's out playing games with my brothers.  And me?  I think I hear a favorite Christmas movie and some popcorn calling my name.  Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment