Avery's feeling pretty sure of her green thumb these days. Yesterday, while searching for more ripe raspberries to pick she informed me: "Hey Mom, I'm a good farmer". She then helped me collect green beans and peas (what's left of them), and today she helped me dig up some of the first red potatoes for supper. Well, I dug - she counted them - and then she flung dirt around for a while - but in her mind she was farming.
I finally tackled my overgrown rhubarb plant and now have a few bags ready for desserts in my freezer.
I love that Avery's getting the chance to see what it's like to grow our own food, even a small amount - to enjoy the process of watching things grow and waiting until they're ready. I love that she happily ate her portion of potatoes tonight (which are delish with fresh parsley, butter and sea salt), knowing that she'd helped in the 'farming', when normally potatoes don't get much attention on her plate.
I love having something come up wild and untended that we can throw on our lunch (leftover) pancakes. I love that my Mom sent a second set of canning supplies home with us and that I'm casually looking up how to can green beans ... like I'm domestic or something.







Oh I just had deja vu!! Avery's wearing Paigie's shirt I think - passed down to Reese... passed down to Jayme... passed down to little A! She even looks like Paigie did with her blonde curls! Reminds me of when I'd see Lindsay wearing a shirt I'd passed down to Alison, then Robyn, then her... did you ever get those from me or were they way too worn out by then? :) Thanks for the morning smile!
ReplyDeleteYou have such a wonderful garden! And a good "farmer" to help you. :) It looks like you'll enjoy lots of the fruits of your labor.
ReplyDelete