September 19, 2011

35 weeks +

Three and some years ago, I went into labour with Avery at exactly 35 weeks.  This time around I'll admit that I held my breath all day at the 35 week mark, feeling extra sensitive to each braxton hicks or regular discomfort, watching the clock and mentally plotting out our action plan.  This wasn't too unusual, being that I've been nervous about this baby coming early for weeks (months) now, and because everything just feels more than last time.  But now that I've made it this far I feel like it's time I settle into some normal anticipation ... if not confidence that Murphy's Law will strike and I'll be housing this baby for more than what's fair.

There's nothing we can do to predict the day or speed or level of surprise, and while that gave me a lot of anxiety in the previous weeks, I feel pretty cool about it now.  We live 2 hours away from the hospital of choice (45 minutes from the plan b hospital).  In fun, I had Levi read a page from a book about delivering a baby if one finds oneself with a woman in need of pushing and you're on the side of a canola field.  I didn't let him see very much since the idea freaked me out too much.  My mantras today are "we will make it" and "it'll be okay" and "I can do this".  We feel ready.  And yes, my hospital bag is packed ... mostly.  


5 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad you've made it past the 35 week mark and hopefully for baby's sake s/he will stay in a little longer. :) But nothing like the 41 weeks Owen decided to stay for. :) And I completely agree with the phrases "we will make it", "it'll be okay", and "I can do this!" Because all of those things will happen regardless of when this little one comes! :) Lots of love and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can come Sunday if you need me :)
    I'll just parachute from WJet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look beautiful Shelley! We will be praying that your wee little one arrives safely and gives you lots of warning that he/she is ready to come! Everything will work out ... and soon you will be cuddling your little bundle! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squeals! Can't wait to hear/read/see news. You're looking lovely, my friend, and Big Sis Avery looks eager to meet the babe! Praying and wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your mantras! They are strong and powerful, just like you. Keep hanging on to that baby and he/she will come out when it's good and ready, you can trust that :)

    ReplyDelete