April 1, 2011

happy things

 :: Sunbathing - in gloriously warm, long forgotten, patches of sun.  Avery lay down and told me "I just takin' a break, Mom".
 :: Juicy red grapefruit - one of the few things that really satisfies right now.  For a while it was pickles, and then ginger ale, and then salt and vinegar chips.  Now the requirement is simply cold and juicy.
 :: Sunshine in flower form - a gift from our friend on the news of our birdie-to-be.
 :: New colouring and drawing books for the little girls.  No sharing necessary.
:: Favorite books becoming well worn.  For a little while, reading stories was getting the shrug from the little people, but they're taking an interest again.  I'll go through book after book for as long as they'll sit ... and sometimes I go on reading even when they don't.  Avery loves to read each book aloud after I've had my turn, and that's always fun to hear her take on the story and what she remembers.
 :: A bigger surplus of candy than we've ever had in the house.  Sour gummy worms (which Avery calls "sour creams"), fuzzy peaches, and jelly beans have been the ticket to getting Avery motivated in the potty training challenge ...
 :: along with stickers.  Success!  This little chart was the first creative thing I'd done in eons.  I've been dragging my heals around in this first trimester, car-sick slump and haven't had a creative stitch in my body ...

:: except for the creative stitches needed to sew up these two little dollies.  Sewn and posted to a new baby girl and her darling big sister.

Since we're on the topic of 'happy things', I interviewed Avery yesterday as we sat together with some books.  I asked her "What makes you happy?" and this is what she came up with:

- Daddy make Avery happy
- Mommy and Daddy help me up
- George make me happy (meaning Curious George)
- Jordan ... George and Jordan (her special college girlfriend ... and Curious George again)
- Aubun makes Avery happy (her other dear college girlfriend, Autumn)
- My kitchen at home
- Doctor's say "beep beep" in mine heart
- Doctor's office ... baby toys (the big enticement for all these new doctor visits)
- Lollipop ... Mommy sing it (yes, she's talking about The Chordettes, and yes I sing it)
- Avery's doctor makes happy me
- A baby toy makes happy me
- Jelly beans
- Butterflies in the sky ... bees in the sky ... bees in the clouds
- Clouds in the sky makin' honey cake

On with the weekend!  Hope you're surrounded by happy things ... like honey cake!

3 comments:

  1. Avery is looking right at us and wondering when we are coming. The dolls are too cute - I can just see some mini dolls to go into their arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great "potty chart"! My kids love the "We're going on a bear hunt" book, too (especially acting it out after). I so remember those "pickles" days. Anything with vinegar or dairy products seemed to settle the nausea for a few minutes! Hope yours goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful thought to make a dollie for new babe and big sis - you're so considerate! And I absolutely love clouds in the sky makin' honey cake... just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete