November 20, 2011

little things

:: For the first time in a long time I'm hearing reports of others putting up their Christmas trees before me.  I always feel like I jump the gun and then feel a little silly when my curtains are open.  This time I've held restraint, and now I feel a little behind.
:: Against my determination not to, I've signed up at Pinterest.  It seemed like such a black hole of inspiraiton that I thought I had to stay away (I'm an inspiration addict).  But now, as I'm beginning to reduce the hundreds of saved bookmarks in their hundreds of bookmark folders and subfolders (and so on), it's making a lot of good sense.  To justify my time already sucked into the void, I made something.  Not sure how I'll feel when my vision of redoing all my Christmas ornaments doesn't happen, not to mention matching sister dresses for Christmas ... or those adorable felt trees and peppermint garland and advent countdown.  Breathe ... and let go.
:: I suppose I have a pretty lovely reason to use as my "pass" and not make a single thing.
:: My days are actually starting to feel a tiny bit more manageable and organized.  On my to-do list for a few weeks has been to bake sugar cookies with Avery (with new Christmas cutter-outers) and then decorate them another day. We tackled part one today during Ella's afternoon snooze and Avery had a ball rolling in flour up to her elbows.  It was really good to have some one-on-one time with her.  I find myself saying "not right now" way over the good mom quota these days and some days I feel so bad about how little time I've spent doing something with her.
:: Of course, finding my days becoming more manageable doesn't necessarily mean I'm acing everything on my to-do lists.  It's all about prioritizing, and today sugar cookies beat out hair combing.
:: Thank goodness for Levi because if I didn't have him in my life I wouldn't be learning anything.  As I type, he's filled me in on why we have wisdom teeth.  Ever wondered that?  I didn't ask ... this is just what happens on a regular basis.



5 comments:

  1. Yum! May I come for tea and cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shell, of course you'll have to enlighten the rest of us now on the purpose of wisdom teeth. =) I loved this post. So many teensy glimpses into life at your happy abode. I would LOVE to come visit you during the Christmas season. You make such a festive holiday home! Oh, and have I mentioned that I almost audibly squeal when I see that you have a new post? Your posts are always so sweet, and your girls are lovely. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love pinterest...follow me! http://pinterest.com/mrswoodlandluo/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have succumbed to the lure of pinterest recently...oh the bunny trails and big ideas it has already led to - the hard part is accomplishing any of them! Great minds must think alike - we also have been making sugar cookies over the past few days for A's playschool snack - including one disastrous batch that couldn't be salvaged (I'm blaming the recipe) - lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay seriously, you need to help me with Pinterest. I totally gave up because it seemed like such a black hole and I didn't know where to start. You'll have to guide me because I am loving seeing everyones inspiration for creative things coming from Pinterest. Seems like a big time suck.

    ReplyDelete